Monday, February 23, 2015

Eighth blog

And just like that, mid-winter break was over. 

Over the past week I've had a lot of down time. A lot of time to think. Without the stress of school and endless assignments/tests hanging over my shoulders I actually feel so much better about myself, and discover a lot about myself (as weird and stupid as that seems). Just having time to think is a great feeling. 

Because my project is something that is relevant to my friends and I on a regular basis, I put a lot of thought into it. Depression is becoming scarily common. So much that people are starting to think is normal, nothing too worry about. Just because some people may not be suicidal doesn't mean that they're okay. Being depressed is no way to live. And what about the kids that are suicidal dot does anyone even know about it? Or care? 

People need to be able to recognize the signs and know how to help. I'll admit that I'm not an expert. I'm not a doctor and I don't have expirience handling this kind of thing. However my friends have told me that just having my presence, and me being myself, has helped them. Being around someone who is happy , I guess it rubs off on them. Also it's a positive distraction to keep them from their negative thoughts. Small things like texts just to remind the person you're there for them and care for them. Those are the little things that make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment